Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 87 - Las Cruces, NM to Hatch, NM

We had a short ride today. the wind was obnoxious and I was not in the mood for it. My body was growing tired of this trip. I haven't been able to relax in quite some time. The mountains have also been taking a toll on me since I've left Austin. I reached a point where the wind was making me mad, where many things were making me mad - so I resolved to skip the Grand Canyon. After Tucsan, I'm heading right for San Diego to begin my much anticipated expedition through the Pacific Coast.

The ride today was not so bad. We saw a lot of Chile farming. The smell of the chilies being picked was intoxicating. It was really putting me in the mood for a burrito.


You would never expect the wind to be so nasty on such a beautiful day - but it was. I was going very slow.



We rolled though some Pecan farms. The fall weather had taken its lovely toll on the outer trees.



This is the Rio Grande - not as beautiful as Duran Duran makes it sound.



I was moving at a snails pace. I'm certain that I could have covered the distance by foot much faster. My panniers were acting as sails and were forcing me to pedal harder through the wind.



There is a lot of farming down here. More than I would have expected. Cotton, for instance, is something I would never had imagined being grown in New Mexico.



Finally, after an arduous ride of 35 miles, I made it into Hatch. Apparently this place is more famous than I had realized.



The first stop once we were in the town was at a burrito restaurant. We were served some authentic Mexican food - which was very tasty.

Our next stop was at a fire station to request permission to camp on their property. They said we could, but warned us of the dangerous area we were in - so we found a church to camp at instead.

There was a gas station/Subway down the road that we spent a good amount of time at discussing our route. We were making a lot of changes to the original plant - mostly to get our butts to San Diego sooner rather than later.

Total mileage: 35

No comments:

Post a Comment