Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 10

I got early enough today. I had to. Had to get ready and go! I also didn't want to make Rob late for work. I got all my stuff packed and made Rob some more awesome eggs. After a quick brushing of the teeth I was on my way. It was sad to say goodbye to Rob and Michelle - I had a really great time with them. 

The first thing I did was to go to FedEx and pick up my business cards. They came out great! All 250 of them!


It was a nice ride into Richmond. 


But once I was there, I couldn't wait to get out. There were some parts that I didn't feel all that comfortable to bike through. That all changed when I got to Monument Ave of course. 


It was truly a beautiful and unique neighborhood. Ya know what I learned about Virginia on my trip? They absolutely love their Capital Building. Here is the one in Richmond. 


I then happened upon their Richmond battlefield. 


And I set out into the woods. I was happy to be in a place like this after traversing the streets of Richmond. Is felt more comfortable. 


I found out that Virginia has a serious bamboo problem. Look at the size of those things!


I also realized I never got a picture of my bike against a Welcome to Virginia sign. This is the closest I could find. 
 

When I hit SR 5, there was a wonderful bike trail that followed a lot of the road. It was so nice to not have to worry about trucks coming up behind me. 


Along the trail were a ton of plantations. 


When the bike trail ended, I had to jump back on SR 5. I found this sign 6 miles after the trail ended. It seemed a little silly at that point. 


Luckily, some of the views from that major road were pretty nice!


And then, the trail picked up again! But this time it was even better!


I found my way into historic Jamestowne. Even got a free pass! After checking out the museum, I decided to take the long road around the island. Worth it? Not even a little bit. It was so boring!


This is what the island looked like the entire time. 


I decided it was time to move on up to Williamsburg. I took the Colonial Parkway, thinking that there would be some cool colonial stuff along the way. There definitely wasn't. And the road was awful - not to mention boring! 


When I finally reached downtown Williamsburg, I needed to kill some time - Sara was still at practice. I had some exploring to do. The first thing that caught my eye was a year long Christmas store. I was pretty excited to see that. It was a good sign that I was going to like the town. After spending about an hour talking to people, I went to a pub to get a milkshake that they were advertising. It was the most expensive mediocre milkshake I have ever had. I was so upset that I found my way to a frozen yogurt shop and got some excellent blueberry fro-yo topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries and peanut butter chips. It was amazing. I at it while wandering around town.


It was about that time to head over to Sara's. I took a detour on my way there to check out the town. After getting there, talking for a while and getting cleaned up, I walked out to get some supper. Afterwards I grabbed some stuff for breakfast and this:


Having spent so much time drinking Finger Lakes rieslings, I had to compare. This huge bottle was only $11 and it was so good. Not only did I get to try some good local wine, but I got to share it with Sara and her friend Stephen. Best purchase of the day by far. 

Thank you so much Sara for letting me crash on your couch. 

Tomorrow I'm off to Sunbury, NC. 

Total mileage for the day: 89

No comments:

Post a Comment