Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 8

Oh my god. So wet. Everything was so wet. I woke up in the middle of the night while stealth camping because there was rain pouring into my tent. I quickly got up and stretched the rain fly over my tent. I climbed back into my sleeping bag. It was just passed midnight and I had some more sleeping to do. 

I woke up again around 5:30 and the rain was still beating down on my tent. Great. Well, at least this is why I got all waterproof stuff. At least I was prepared. 


I texted Rob and told him I was going to be a little late. He told me to suck it up. So I did. I broke camp at 7 and got on my way. It. Was. Pouring. 


I stopped at the first bridge I could find to stuff a Powerbar down my throat. After I washed it down, I was off!

The first thing I ran into was the Fredericksburg cemetery. It was super cool. 


I then passed through the Fredericksburg Historic Battlefield Park. It was so cool! You could see the trenches that the Confederates dug out and the hills the Union built up. I wish the weather was nicer because I could have spent all day there. But it wasn't, so I rolled on through. Luckily most of the roads were nicely paved and fast, and a lot of downhills. Also, there was t a lot of good scenery on the way so I wasn't too bummed that I couldn't get any nice pictures. Oh well. 

So I powered through the day. Didn't even stop. Couldn't stop, actually. Everything in Virginia is closed on Sundays. 

I got to Rob's at 2. Took a shower and had some lunch. It was great to have the rest of the day off. I sat down on the couch and Rob handed me one of these:


Had to support breast cancer research. That was pretty much the night. It was just what I wanted. 

So I hung my clothes to dry and called it a night. All in all, 72 miles and a lot of rain. Not such a bad day!

Taking a day to relax tomorrow. Back on the road on Tuesday - heading to Williamsburg!


No comments:

Post a Comment