Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 4

Made it into Maryland! What a spirit booster this was.

Today was absolutely wonderful. I went soooo slow - on purpose. I took a ton of pictures and ate some local cuisine. It was a fabulous day on the road. 

I started off in corn country. It was really interesting to pass through an area entirely dependent upon upon corn. 


You can't really tell but there is a grain elevator in the background. The first one I saw - though I did see plenty of grain hauling trucks, so they must have been going somewhere. Here is some more corn:


I likes seeing that. It's one good way to use the stuff!

David and I were trying to figure out which hill was going to be the biggest on my route, so I took pictures of all of them. 

Here was the first one:


After that I meandered across a big bridge:


That's the Susquehanna, to give you a reference. 

Then there was another hill:


The good thing about hills is that they usually lead to some incredible scenery:


I ran into an Australian couple coming up from Miami. I said I had heard there were some nasty hills up ahead. The man responded by say "nah, it's all down hill! Except for the up parts!"  I got a kick out of these folks. After the scenery comes and goes, there are usually more hills:


Then, I found it. The mother of all hills. I was wondering when I'd happen upon it. It went up:


And up:


And up some more:


When I finally reached the top, I ran into a kid who said I looked like I was having fun. I actually was though, it was a blast! He told me there were even bigger hills up ahead of me. Oh great. 


That dirty little liar. 

Once I saw this:


I got pretty excited. So excited I had to stop for food. I ordered a slice of cheese pizza from a place right off the main road and they practically gave me a quarter of a pie. 


Then, boom, I hit it. Maryland!


It was a little different than PA. A lot less Amish. 


After stealing maybe the best apple I've ever had in my life, I found my way to Tom and Elaine's house. I was greeted by this Bruce:


He is so adorable. Tom and I had dinner together and he just kept adding food to the table. It was great. I ate almost too much. We had great conversations all night and they really made me feel at home. 

So, after I think 67 miles, I had an amazing day!

Thanks again Tom and Elaine, I had a spectacular stay!

Now off to day 5: Rockville, MD

1 comment:

  1. Maryland is a great state...My brother lives on the Eastern Shore...it is really beautiful over there...love the pictures Todd.

    ReplyDelete