Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 16

After getting up with Alex in the morning and heading out from Newport at 7:00am - I was sure to make some good time today.

Within 10 miles, I encountered a closed road. No way. I'm not going around it. I''ll carry my bike through it if I have to. But, after passing through, there was no need. The road was closed because someone parked a large tractor in the middle of it. Really?


I had passed by so many things I wish I had taken pictures of on my journey already, I didn't want this one to go undocumented.



Shortly after, I came upon the water again.



There was some truly beautiful scenery along the way.



Again, a lot of fishing towns.



And some more farmland.



And then this.



I had hit US 17. What an ugly road this was. Hours upon hours of highway riding. What could be more fun?



It was exhilarating when a large truck nearly swiped me right off the road every now and then. I was booking it. I wanted to be off the highway. In some places, there wasn't even a shoulder. Could it get any better?



Of course it could! How about putting a bridge, with less of a shoulder, on a highway! Thank God for the "SHARE THE ROAD"  sign!




I could nearly see my destination from the pinnacle of the bridge. Along with another pretty site.



That bridge plopped me right onto Topsail.



Topsail is a lovely community where every single house looks the same. Big, new, stylish, and on the beach.



I pulled into Eric's condo complex at about 2:30. I had crushed the miles today, thanks to US 17. This is the view I was welcomed by after stepping into his apartment. Am I dreaming?



Needless to say, I pointed my toes right for the beach and the pool. At the beach, there were two birds that would not shut their beaks. After listening to them for nearly 2 hours, I made my way back to the condo. Eric had to step out for a while so While he was gone, I relaxed on the couch with my book. When he returned, we ordered some pizza and watched a movie on the tube. A perfect, relaxing evening.

Total mileage for the day: 78. Off to Carolina Beach tomorrow!

Thanks, Eric, so much for you hospitality. Good luck in your future tours!

No comments:

Post a Comment