Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 5

I started off the day by having breakfast with Elaine. Her and Tom are really two of the nicest people I have ever met. I helped her a little with her Brooks saddle and I was on my way. Bruce, however, didn't want me to go. He followed me almost all the way out to the road.


Or should I say, I followed him. About 20 feet after I left the driveway, my mom called. While I was talking to her, I heard footsteps behind me. It was Elaine. Bruce was missing. I though "oh great, these folks put me up for the night and I lost their dog..." So, I turned around to help find him. He was waiting for me back at the house! After saying one last goodbye to him, I turned around and started off again. I saw some really beautiful scenery on my way out of town. 

 
A lot of the time, I could imagine Civil War troops marching along these shady paths. 


I absolutely love all the farm land around these parts. The houses on the farms are so pretty too! Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a farm with me? So cheap!


Here are some more photos:


At this point I should have turned, but I didn't and got lost...or should I say, went onanistic adventure. 


^^The steed will suffice


I thought today would be a perfect day to blast done times as I rode along. 


The damn thing broke after like 2 miles. Anyone know how to fix a zipper?


As I got closer to my destination, all the lovely older buildings started popping up. When I landed at Bob and Cathie's house, they had me hop in the shower and invited me to dinner with them. We had steak and an amazing quinoa salad. Afterwards, I went downtown with them and helped myself to more ice cream than a human should consume. We even saw a live band performing. 



What a way to finish a bike ride! On the way back, we talked about the city and they invited me to stay another day so I can spend a whole day in DC. So, I took them up on the offer. I was reluctant, however, because I'm airtime concerned about not getting any mileage in. But I've been crushing it for the past few days so I figured it would be alright. All in all, 72 miles and an amazing day!

DC tomorrow via the Metro. No cycling for these legs!

1 comment:

  1. I love the scenic pictures of MD. Makes me thankful to live in such a beautiful state. Can't wait to read you D.C. post. -Amanda

    ReplyDelete