Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 14

I woke up in the morning happy to find that my tent was not compete soaked. The intense winds had worked like a blow dryer and had basically shed my tent of all the rain that was dumped on it during the night. I had myself a pop-tart and did a little reading before finally packing up my belongings. I was t planning one aging until noon, but I wanted to get all my stuff ready so I could venture to the beach without having to worry about it later. After Sean got back from breakfast, we made our way to the shore with hopes of swimming and body surfing. When we got there, we decided that was t a good idea. 


It was a lite rough. So we hung out on the sand and nearly got washed away a few times. After a while, we made our way to the pier. While there we sme some people kite boarding in the water that we didn't even want to step into. They made it look so easy. I had second thoughts about leaving - wondering if I should try kite boarding while I had the opportunity. But I didn't. After I got back to the campground, I showered and packed my bike. On my way out, Sean invited me for a sandwich, which I couldn't say not to. It was a pleasure meeting and hanging out with Sean. He's one of those guys that you know are incredibly generous, right off the bat - he has creases in his face from smiling so often during his life. Keep in touch. Sean. 

And so I was on my way. The road was smooth and flat. I was crushing the miles like you wouldn't believe. 

I maintained and average of about 22 mph for the first hour of my ride - getting nery half of my ride done within that time. I even hit 31 mph on flat ground at one point during the day.


I was cruising until I wandered into this town. I can't remember what it was called, but it was right before Spiro. The roads were awful. So slow! So I sat back, relaxed, and blasted some DMB on my speakers. 


I came across one of these, which I had read a about not too long ago. Freaky looking things! I can't believe it was actually intended to be a house at one point in time. 


I then found myself in Hatteras. It was beautiful. Like a treasure that the world hasnt quite found out about yet. I took my time through here, enjoying the scenery. 


And the. I found myself on get another ferry. This one was approximately 40 minutes long. 


It dropped me off at Ocracoke Island. Once again, the roads were flat and smooth and I crushed the miles until I reached town. 


The scenery along the road was beautiful. 


And varying enough that I didn't get bored. 


I first stopped at an ice cream shop. The ice cream was good, but I don't think I've ever met a ruder person that owned an ice cream store. I stopped in the local gorcedy store too, and grabbed to food for the night. Mystery lunch meat, chicken in a can, spaghetti and a banana were on the menu. I road around town until I found the volunteer fire station. Luckily someone was there and they let me set up camp behind the station. Right next to a little pond. Great. I was going to have to climb in my tent early, before sundown, to avoid all the mosquitoes. 


After setting up camp and taking a brief walk around town, I made myself some yummy dinner. Except for the chicken in a can. That tasted like cat food. 


I retired to my tent, early as planned and read until I passed out. It was nice to actually relax for the night. 

Total mileage for the day: 50

Off to Newport tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Todd...really enjoying your blog. It is like I am on the trip with you, without all the work of course. I think it would be cool if there were a map showing your daily progress. Just an idea you might work on when you find a free moment. Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself, your freedom, and your awesome adventure! Beechtree misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times that I look at a picture and actually say "amurica" out loud. I found this worth sharing. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete