Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 12

I woke up in the middle of the night to some sprinkles on my tent, so I zipped up the rain fly and laid back down. All of a sudden - the sky fell on me. For approximately 10 minutes I was in a rain storm like I've never been before. And then it stopped. Unfortunately, my tent was soaked. When I awoke in the morning, I spread my tent out to dry a little before I loosely packed it on my bike - I didn't want to spend too much time lollygagging while the tent was drying because I had some miles to cover. While I was packing my bag, I found this guy on my bike. 


I flicked him off with my water bottle, but he climbed right back up!


The morning ride was beautiful. For miles upon miles I rode along the Great Dismal Swamp. It was quite interesting because on side, there was swamp, and on the other - forest. It was really beautiful. And only a little stinky. 


After a while I hit some farm land. It was so flat. So incrediy flat. I was cruising at an average of 14 mph. And it was easy! The only bad part about flat ground - you are constantly pedaling. This means that your butt is constantly in contact with the saddle and is constantly being molested by it. Darn it hurt. 


Thus is what a lot of the ride looked like. 


Then, I hit the highway. I was on the highway for a while. I was not a fan. 


It just kept going. 


And going. 


There was this nice view over a bridge at one point. 


Then, I turned off. I was so relieved. That is until, I got bored. Listening to DMB blasting on your broken speakers isn't quite the same when you're not on the highway. I also noticed that the roads were not as fast. I hate to admit it, but I started to crave the highway. 


So I got back on. And it was scary. An do people not know how to drive a of a sudden when they see a cyclist?


This sign got me very excited. It ment I was almost done wih my excursion today. 


But then I saw this. I was not very happy to see it. A long bridge with no shoulder. What else could a cyclist want??


But I made it over to Kitty Hawk. The first time I was ever in the Outer Banks. I was ecstatic. 


I found my way to a private beach at the Souther Shores. 


I ignored the private sign and dragged my bike up the sand. It was beautiful. Everything I could have wanted it to be. I stood there, looking at the water, for a while. I bet people thought I was a weirdo. No one wears tights to the beach, unless they are a weirdo.  I was that weirdo. I quickly changed, wih a towel around my waist, into some running shorts and jumped in. It was MAGNIFICENT. Like I said, everything I could have wanted. 


After hanging out there for a while, I realized I was hungry. I found a pizza place and a smoothie bar and had myself a real dinner. Why not? I'm on vacation! I the. Found my way to the Southern Shores Volunteer Fire Department. They let me stay on their property for the night. As I was setting up camp on the parking lot behind the station, the chief came over and asked me why I was setting up there and not in the grass. He then directed me to the front lawn and told me he would let the police m is of my whereabouts so that no one would bother me. Seemed like a good deal to me! Before I climbed in my camp, a car pulled up - younger guy and girl wit their dogs. They asked me a few questions and were amazed with what's I was doing. They the. Offered me a shower at their place. I reluctantly turned it down - I was simply ready for bed. 

All in all, great day. I think I covered about 81 miles and I got to hang out at the beach for a little and go swimming. Tomorrow, I'm off to Rodanthe!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it to the Outer Banks, looks beautiful there. -Amanda

    ReplyDelete