Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 11

Got up today around 6:15. I really wanted to get on my way because I wasn't quite sure where I'd be spending be night. I had way more yogurt and oatmeal than anyone should consume, packed my bags, left Sara a goodbye note and I was on my way! Biking out of Williamsburg was lovely. It would be nice too s here. 


The back roads to the ferry took me though some really magnificent scenes. 


I even got to see the re-make of the 3 ships that landed in Jamestowne. Well, at least from a distance. 


And then there it was. Right in front of me. My first ferry-bicycle experience. I was thrilled. And the crew was a little concerned with me. I don't think they thought I was serious when I told the. What I was doing. 


When I boarded I got to go right to the front of the ferry. 


It was spectacular! I felt like a little kid. This ferry moved pretty fast, too!



When I got off the ferry - which I had to do last, of course - I found a friend and helped him move to the side of the road just in time for a car to come barreling down the road. 


And the. The ride started to get so boring. It all looked like this:


And this: 


And was all pretty much as flat as this: 


And what happened to all the trees??


At least the sky looked pretty. 


There were a few building along the way in...uh...disrepair. 


For a brief moment, I got to see something pretty along the way. 


I think this was Kilby Lake. 


And finally I hit North Carolina!


But I still didn't have a place to stay. I saw this and actually thought about it. 


Just outside of Sunbury, I got a really nasty bloody nose. Really nasty. There was blood everywhere! I had to pull over to a truck weigh station and shove some TP up my nostril. That was fun. Who would take me in covered in blood? I was in trouble - or so I thought. 

I found a volunteer fire department and a guy out in the back, GP (I think that was his name? Nicest guy ever, and I can't even remember his name...). 


Anyway, I asked him if I could set up camp outside the station. He didn't see why not and let me go to town constructing my nest. 


I even got a shower! i couldn't be happier. They were having a big function and were preparing a ton of food. More steak than I'd ever seen. I sat and read my book while talking to all the firefighters that showed up. Eventually they all went in to eat their food and take care of some business. After a moment, GP popped out again and told me to come on in and fix myself a plate. And boy did I. I had a huge steak, baked potato, beans and a salad. It was wonderful. I got stuffed!  I couldn't have been more amazed with the hospitality. While eating I got to talk to a guy who's family has been living on the same farm since 1720. Crazy right? It gets better. He is a direct descendent of John Briggs. Ya know, the guy on the Mayflower!  What an interesting fellow. I chatted until I deemed it time for bed. Crawled in my tent and off to slumber land. 

I can't thank all the firefighters at Sunbury enough for their hospitality. 

Total mileage for the day: 81. 

Off to the Outer Banks tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Todd, spotting me behind the station today turned out well. I'm glad we were able to talk and share a meal. Thanks for the card Bro; I look forward to checking in on your progress. Your journey ahead inspires me. Feed not the mosquitoes, and may God bless you and your path.
    G.P. Kittrell III
    Corapeake, NC, SVFD

    ReplyDelete