Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 23

I woke up early enough to wander the streets of Charleston before I left. I got a fairly pricey bagel from a cafe and picked up a pumpkin doughnut from a Dunkin Donuts. It was my first pumpkin anything of the year and boy was it tasty. I set around town to take a few pictures of anything I could have missed.





As I was leaving town, a kid chased me down and invited me back to the restaurant he worked at . It was a Vietnamese sandwich shop. He treated me to a Red Curried Beef sandwich which was absolutely amazing. They even had cucumber water! After chatting for a while, I made my way on the road. I took a different route than the ACA called for - which I don't regret at all. It was lovely. O wandered by plenty of plantations and tree-covered streets.






I thought this sign was pretty funny. I've noticed that I laugh at a lot more things these days. Hopefully it doesn't just mean that I'm getting lonely.



I arrived in Walterboro around 5:30 and hung out at a Wendy's, hoping that someone would ask what I was doing and invite me to stay with them at their house. That didn't happen. Instead I found a Catholic Church and waited around there to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble for setting up camp on the property. Right before I was about to pitch my tent, I received a response from a Couch Surfing request. I was given instruction fro who to contact and found myself a very nice place to stay. Jorge met me in downtown Walterboro and lead me back to his house. His partner, David, is an antiques collector and decorated their house wonderfully with all sorts of fun stuff. Jorge took me out for some Mexican food and a margarita. I'm continually amazed by the generosity of the people I meet. I called it a night shortly after we returned to the house.

Off to Statesboro tomorrow...or so I though...


Total mileage: 58

No comments:

Post a Comment