Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 48 - Simmesport, LA to Alexandria, LA










I woke up feeling less sick than the day before, so I got off the farm at around 9:30. I was greeted by a beautiful day!
 

 
I found myself in farm country rather quickly. There were huge machines roaming the roads all around me.
 


I've never seen a cotton farm before, so this was pretty cool. Sure enough, I also got to see some cotton processing plants along the way too.



I was feeling pretty awful all morning as soon as I got on the bike. It has never been so difficult to pedal around. My head felt like a balloon, and my nose was bleeding and running down my face all morning. Pretty, huh?



I caught my first glimpse of fall. This sight made me feel a little but better.



Shortly after this beautiful sighting, my tire popped again, Twice in two days. I was not feeling up to fixing the flat, being that I felt so flat myself. I checked the tire for punctures, but couldn't find any. I assumed that the rear tire had reached its limit and had warn through, causing the tube to pop. I decided to walk up the road and hope that someone in a pickup might be willing to pick me and my bike up and give me a lift to Alexandria, where the bike shop I was aiming for was. Luckily, after seeing my thumb, someone stopped for me. He was a very nice guy, and was happy to drop me off at the bike shop.

At the bike shop (Red River Cyclery), I found myself a pair of CST Selecta tires which were $20 each. These aren't name brand tires. I couldn't really find any reviews online for them. I decided to get them, knowing that they had a kevlar belt in them AS long as they got me to Austin, I'd be happy. They had a very slick rubber finish, which makes me think that they won't really be great in the rain. Oh well. I got some tubes as well, and the owner gave me a 15% employee discount. I think he felt bad for me.

My grandparents didn't like that I was riding around sick, and they especially didn't like that I was going to be camping out sick, so they got me a room at a hotel in Alexandria. I found my way there and opened the door to my room. This is what I was welcomed by:



What was I going to do with 2 queen sixed beds? I'm not sure. But I'm glad I was there. I got showered and made my way to the grocery store across the street. This is what I returned with. If this concoction didn't make me feel better, nothing would.



I took my meds and plopped myself in fron tof a computer in the business library to work on this blog that I've been so bad at keeping up with.




I found myself in bed at 9:00. The perfect time to get some rest for tomorrow!


Total miles pedaled: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment