Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 29

At 7:30, I met Dennis in the kitchen for some pancakes. Still stuffed from my late night of partying, I was only able to eat 2 of them. They were definitely tasty though!







I packed up my bike, said goodbye to the new friends I made, and set off to Gainesville.



The road there was initially filled with a lot of farms. Nothing spectacular.



There was some waterfront scenery, but like I said, nothing spectacular.



I soon ventured on a road that, had I jumped on right at St. Augustine, I could have save myself a good 15 miles of pedaling. Oh well. That's when I learned to not trust the ACA maps entirely. I called the hostel and let them know of a better route to pass on to all future western explorers.



Potatoes...in Florida?



Look at the size of those horns!



After meeting someone at lunch, I decided to follow his advice and completely ignore the maps - using Rt 20 instead. I was so glad I did! Rt 20 had a nice, newly paved bike lane for nearly its entire length to Hawthorne.



I even found a dinosaur! Rawrrr!



Florida has some lakes, though I would not really consider them lakes.



I found my way to the Hawthorne-Gainesville trail.






At one point in the trail, I found an area of crazy turns and roller coaster hills. It was so much fun!



Here is a view from the peak of one if those hills.



After the trail, I found myself lost in the middle of the University if Florida. I felt like an idiot wandering around with all these young college kids looking at me.

Finally, I found my way to Shelley, Angel and PJ's apartment. The greeted me with some pizza and a shower. They then taught me (or at least showed me) how to juggle and unicycle. Not at the same time, of course. After some tasty brownies, I passed out on a spare mattress and slept for quite a while.

Total mileage: 92

No comments:

Post a Comment