Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 24

I set out from Walterboro at around 8:00 am. I wanted to stroll through Washington St. so get a good look at the downtown area. 


This is the antique shop that David and Jorge own.



A good look at how the street is layed out.



I made my way down the road and encountered this lovely sign. Is the sign a sign?



I found a store that sold antique signs from gas stations and gorcery stores. It was pretty cool, but with 90 miles ahead of me, it wasn't cool enough to stop.



The Village of the Son of Henry.



Occasionally, there were roads that lead seemingly no-where. Most of the time they were shaded by trees draped in Spanish moss, some of my favorite stuff.



I found myself pedaling through a swamp. No sign of large lizards yet. The swamps around this area have black, glassy water and are littered with trees. Healthy looking trees.



I would assume that their prices are fairly reasonable.



I found a Wendy's to stop for lunch. While I was there, I decided it was stupid to go all the way to Statesboro just so I can turn north-east again to find Savannah. My new plan was to risk it on US 17 for a little while (50 miles). Honestly it wasn't that bad.



I even found Switzerland. No sight of the alps, unfortunately.



But I did happen upon this lovely road shaded by spooky trees.



I road up on the sidewalk to avoid most of the traffic and passed under this sign. I was excited to see that I was getting so close to FL!



After trekking down US 17 for hours upon hours, I came across this bridge (which I later found out a lot of cyclists are killed on). I finally made it into GA. Where are the peaches?



I had to pedal up a huge bridge. Luckily it had a fenerous shoulder.



I eventually foound my way into Savannah. It was nice - not what I was expecting initially. I was certain I just wasn't in the right place.



The police station had some old cruisers hanging out. A lady was nice enough to offer to take a picture of me. That beard is getting pretty nasty.




I already love this city!



The stop lights were seemignly endless. At least the view was nice for a little bit. But I was tired from the 90 mile ride and growing delirious from the heat. I was ready to finish the ride. I punched it for what seemed like an eternity through the city.



I finally found myself at Austin's. He greeted me by taking my picture and asking me if I wanted a beer. At last! Someone offered me a beer. I had been awaiting this moment for weeks!

We chatted and had dinner. Austin introduced me to Breaking Bad - looks pretty good! He also informed me tat I had passed his tests and he invited me to stay another night and use his car so that I can visit the city. I couldn't turn down the offer!

I went to bed at around 9:30, exhausted from the day's journey.

Off to downtown Savannah tomorrow!


Total mileage: 88

No comments:

Post a Comment