Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 26

Today was quite a day. I didn't leave Savannah until about 9:15 in the morning. I usually like to leave around 7 so that I can get an easy 50 in before noon. I didn't really know where I was going to be staying the night, so I was in no rush to get anywhere. I hopped right onto US 17 and started my journey further south. US 17 was great to ride on. Plenty of room on the shoulder and not a ton of traffic. It was pretty much a straight shot to where I was going, too.


My initial travels for the day were supposed to be at maximum 48 miles. I intended to go to a highly recommended seafood joint (shanty? shack? trailers combined to make a restaurant?). I arrived, dripping sweat from the days heat and starving as a result of my fasting in preperation for a great meal. It was closed. Not to open until 5pm. It was only 2pm. Damn. So I had a few Chewy bars and a couple peices of AMAZING jerky that Austin had given me and set out for a second highly recommended seafood restaurant: B & J's Steak and Seafood in Darien - roughly 22 miles away. I felt great so I figured, what the heck? So, I found my way back on US 17 and once again, headed south.

Because it was a highway, there really wasn't much to see. Not much at all. But i didn't mind. All of Georgia pretty much looks the same, anyway. Likewise for South Carolina. When I did see something interetsting, I made sure to take a picture of it. Like this sign. What the heck is with this sign?



I did find myself at a tourest destination along the way. Something I had read about before in a road trip book: the Smallest Church in America.



It was pretty damn small. Though, I'm positive there is a competitively sized church on an island in the town I am from...I think.



The interior smelled rich of wood. Old wood. I loved it. The stained glass, I was surprised to find, was nicely done and not at all cheap as I had expected.



Shorlty after visiting the church, the sky erupted in lightning and thunder. In the distance I could see heavy rain. Great. Just what I was hoping for! I had a quick thought to look for local hotels. Cheap, local hotels. I really didnt feel like spending the night in a storm. During my search, and a phone call to my mother, I came across these guys: Buffalo. How does a buffalo farm find its way to GA?



After some research, I managed to eecure a room at a Days Inn in Darien for $30. I decide to forgo the $16 seafood buffet (which would have been $25 after a beer, tax and tip) at B & J's and get the room. I called ahead, made my reservation and set a dedline of 40 minutes for my ETA. As soon as I hung up the phone, I somehow perceived my own deadline as a challenge. So, like any bicyclist would do while pedaling a 110 lbs hunk of steel, I strated crishing some miles. Typically, I average around 13 mph throughout the day. Maybe a little more. The last 10 miles off my journey however, I averaged between 20 and 23 mph. I was seriously criusing. I just wanted to get to the hotel. But I had a blast doing it. My legs yelled at me, but after telling them to shut up a few times, they began to cooperate and thrust my steed down US 17. After getting lost and missing my turns, I arrived in 32 minutes. Nice.

I arrived at the hotel, drenched in sweat. The receptionist, Tess, had me down some cups of lemonade. We chatted for a while before I found my room. It was so nice!



What a deal for $30! Brand new hotel, clean, and a fridge big enough to fit a 30 in (I settled for a 6 pack of PBR tallboys). I showered, ate and went to hang out with Tess. This lady was great. So cheery and friendly! I never rate things, but I felt inclined to give this hotel the best rating I could becuase of her. In the morning, I'll be helping myself to a complimentary warm breakfast of French toast, waffles, bacon and eggs. Could I ask for more? How about some coffee with Kahlua flavored syrup? Yep, they've got that too. I can please my alcohol cravings in the morning and not even have to drink alcohol! The world is a wonderful place.

Tomorrow, I'll continue south, hopefully arriving at St. Augustine on Satrday!


Total mileage: 68. These miles may have been the easiest miles yet. I'm sure I could have done twice the mileage. There is something about not knowing where you are going to end up that just makes the day easier.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Speed's Kitchen was closed, but you found your way to a nice place anyway. You have quite an adventure in front of you! Bon Chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I met you in St. Augustine! Made my Birthday night ... my friend and I were headed home but a last minute decision led me to a nice conversation. Thank you for sharing your journey ...

    Goodnight ... um morning? :)
    Dana
    myzelle_18@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete