Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 20

Well, it was finally time for me to leave. As much as I loved being lazy in Carolina Beach, I had some pedaling to do. There were, of course, many things I wanted to do in town that I was unable to do because of the rain and poor weather - oh well.


I took one more look at the beach and was on my way.



Fort Fisher was one of the few things that I didn't really get to experience, but luckily I saw a glimpse of it on my way out of town.




I missed the ferry by about 1 minute. Bummer. I had to wait another 40 minutes for the next one. At least that gave me some time to eat breakfast.



I can't remember what the name of this town was but I really enjoyed it. It was so cute.



I stopped of at a Dollar General to load up on supplies for the next few nights.I knew I would be needing some dinner and breakfast food since I was most likely going to do some stealth camping for a couple of nights. While I was at the store, I noticed the Halloween decorations. This sight made me both so happy and sad. Where I am going, there won't be any fall foliage. Maybe I can find a nice costume to wear on the bike.



I went over a lot of bridges. Almost all of them were suspended over rivers like this: glassy smooth and black as night.



In the south, they still have play-places at McDonald's.



The variety of plant life in the south is really amusing.



Especially all of the Spanish Moss. If you can see it in this picture.



The number of bridges I had to go over was just amazing.



I found a little bit of Ithaca in NC.



Finally, I made it to South Carolina. The difference in the road condition blew my mind. It seems like SC just doesn't care. The roads were so rough. But hey, avoiding all the trash flung across the road is half the fun, right?



At this point, I was starting to get pretty tired. I was desperately looking for a place to camp. Everything started to look exactly the same.



I finally found a church and set up camp in the back. Cooked myself a nice dinner of Mac n Cheese and was asleep by about 8.

Total mileage for the day: 85.

Off to No Where, SC tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment