Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 52 - Silsbee, TX to Coldspring, TX

The cloud cover didn't give me much hope for the day as I was leaving Silsbee. Not much hope at all.


But soon enough I saw nothing but blue sky and a few clouds. The weather here in Texas has mood swings, I'm sure of it.



Like I said, mood swings. One moment the sky is pretty, the next its got some nasty cloud cover.



And then the next, you're hiding under another church to avoid flash flooding and building shaking thunder claps.



After waiting maybe a half hour for the storm to pass, I pressed on. The pine forests around me were absolutely beautiful.



It was turning out to be a beautiful day.



With lots of long, empty stretches of road.



The farm land was also very pretty. I was really enjoying the scenery. I must say, Texas is a lot greener than I had first thought it would be.



I mean really, this is absolutely beautiful.



The the roads winding through all of the hills definitely added to the picture.



Check out those clouds, they look like snow covered peaks in the distance.



This road was about as long and straight as it gets. But at least it was a little faster than the rest of the roads I was travelling on.



Somewhere around this bend, I found a church that allowed me to camp on the property. The pastor was extremely nice. Evidently, I wasn't the first crazy biker that has asked his permission to camp by the church.



He opened up an annex building and gave me a chance to do some laundry and take a shower. They invitee me to join them at church, but it was so late after getting my camp set up that I didn't want to intrude mid-sermon. After I got showered and cleaned my stuff up, I settled into my tent. This is what I call living the dream:



AT some point during the night, I woke up the the laughing sound of coyotes running around. Shortly after, I was started by a loud cracking and crash of a large tree falling onto some electrical equipment. There was a loud explosion immediately after that really got my blood flowing. A minute or two later, there was an even louder explosion. The boom was so fierce that my tent shook and all the power around me went out. It was a good hour before I could get back to sleep after that. At some point early in the morning, I heard a clean up crew working by ground zero. I tried to find a news report about it but all I could find was this:



Apparently I missed this "attraction."

Total mileage: 75

No comments:

Post a Comment