Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 57 - Bestrop, TX to Wimberley, TX

I left the motel at around 11:15. I was excited to make my way to Wimberley to meet an old friend of my father's. I did some intense cleaning on my bike and was on my way..to the highway apparently.


The ride wasn't much to brag about. Just long Texas ranch "Farm to Market" roads.



Sometimes they were long and straight, and sometimes they were winding and had harsh winds bombarding you from all direction. I got down to a mighty 7 mph at one point on flat ground because of those winds.



Some of the towns were definitely very cool. A lot of neat architecture and a lot of very classic old western styling.



Most small towns you find in Texas look like this. Saloon. At least that's what I think they all look like.



After miles and miles of pedaling, hills and sharp turns with very bad drivers, I made my way into Wimberley where I had to navigate through the back roads to get to EJ's house.



EJ wasn't there but his wife, Carol, and two daughters, Sarah and Melissa were. They greeted me with a big cup of ice tea and a lot of smiles. Apparently Melissa had almost hit me on her way home from work. I was completely oblivious to this occurrence, which may explain why I was almost hit.
EJ arrived home shortly and we all had a blast chatting and getting to know each other. I jumped in the shower and made my way down for dinner - ribs! Finally, some Texas BBQ. Before we ate, we struggled to take a picture of all of us together. We did something that Sarah called the totem pole. We experimented with some other poses and were not very successful. There are pictures somewhere, thought I don't have them. After feasting on dry-rub BBQ ribs and filling myself with way too much salad and pie, we all collected in the living room to watch a bit of TV and converse before finally calling it a night. It was truly a pleasure to have met such a welcoming family. EJ and my dad hadn't seen each other in probably 35 year, yet he and his family warmed up to me as if I had known them all my life. It was certain;y refreshing to feel like I wasn't a stranger for a little while.

Total mileage: 75

No comments:

Post a Comment