Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 77 - Fort Davis, TX








Today was not one of my best days. I awoke with a serious corneal abrasion. I couldn't see anything and the pain was dominating my thoughts. John was nice enough to let us stay for an extra day while my eye ball healed. In the late morning, he offered to give us a tour of the observatory. Of course, we accepted the invitation.
 
He is quite partial to the 82 inch telescope that they have. It was built in the 30's and has been upgraded through the years. He lectured us all morning on what he has done to help the scope become more computer automated and more exact.
 
Here is the scope with the mirror cover mostly closed:
 

 
And with it open:
 
That's a big mirror.
 


Brian:



The entire building was built in the 30's. They do their best to use all the vintage equipment they can without effecting the accuracy of their work.



I wish I could retell you all the interesting things that he explained to us throughout the day, but like I said, I was completely out of it. My eye was in serious pain and was very sensitive to any sunlight. Luckily, I have glasses so I could see a little bit. Unfortunately, my sunglasses don't fit over my glasses so I was forced to face the rays of the sun without any protective eye wear.



Here is he 107 inch telescope. This one is more modern - built in the 60's I think. This was definitely more up-to-date, and was most definitely larger.



The building for the 82.



A view from the balcony at the 107.



When we got back to the house, John made us some lunch and I hit the floor to do some reading and napping. My eye was doing a little better, but I was still not feeling well. The rest of the day passed quite quickly - I think I spent most of it on the floor. John's daughter made us some soup for dinner and I soon left John and Brian still chatting in the dining room so that I could retire for the night.

Total mileage: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment