Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 67 - Leakey, TX to Brackettville, TX

We knew what we had lying ahead of us when we woke up this morning: a big nasty climb. We set out on the nasty day (it had rained pretty hard the night before). It was freezing cold and the rain was even colder. How are we going to handle the rest of the trip if we're shivering during the cold snaps?


AS you can see, we were still in hill country, with views to make you drool.


Our first ascent of the day was not all that bad. Really, it was just long. We still dropped it like it was hot and meandered up the road. I was nervous in the morning because of the poor visibility so we had all of our lights flashing away. I tried to get a picture of Brian here but he didn't want to stop and pose.


The peak of the climb didn't offer the views we were used to, but it was still unique and pretty.


the descent was gradual and lasted all day. By gradual, I mean we were still climbing hills constantly (I mean, would you look at that?!), but somehow we were losing elevation.


I finally got Brian to pose after he fed me a banana that nearly had me gagging.


If only this lasted forever...the descent I mean.


It was windy and littered with creepy white trucks that seemed like they were following us.


Brian and I have been contemplating why there were no bridges during these stretches of hills, and we finally found one. This is how excited we were that we didn't have to go down and up another hill.


"Rust in Peace" the sign read.



The blue water was out of this world - or at least out of this state. It didn't seem to fit. If I wasn't freezing, I would have jumped in!


Texas: hilly mountains. Somewhere at this point we scared a big buck that dried twice, unsuccessfully to jump as huge fence next to him. I was worried that he was going to get stuck in the fence, however it was quite entertaining.


A flat road? WHAT???


We stopped here for lunch and so that Brian could fiddle with his flat trailer tire.


And fiddle some more down the road.


All was smooth and we were riding pretty quickly towards our destination when Brian had to stop and turn around. The fender on his trailer shattered for no apparent reason.


We enjoyed the long flat/slow descent into Brackettville. It was getting late and we had to find a place to camp, but first we had to eat. We found a grocery store that was so cheap you couldn't believe it.


After snacking, we found our way into a private community where we stumbled upon a campground with no one else there. It was a private community, and being that we just blew right buy the guard shack, we didn't have to pay to stay. We got a nice fire going and made an enormous pasta dinner. Life is good. It wasn't even raining.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had like 5 flat tires in the past 3 days. I finally gave up on this last one which was only a slow leak, and stopped to pump it up every 10 miles or so. Looks like I'll be buying some tubes and Stan's in Del Rio.

Total Miles: 75

No comments:

Post a Comment