Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 74 - Big Bend National Park to Alpine, TX



Today sucked. I was so sick I was unable to enjoy riding back into civilization except for the last 10 miles which were all down hill.
 
After climbing back up from the basin of the Chisos Mountains, we rode, mostly descended, 30 miles to an all you can eat breakfast buffet where we stuffed ourselves silly. I was hoping that a good meal would help we feel better, but it just made me want to throw up.
 
Here is the descent before arriving at the café: 



Though not as spectacular as when riding into Big Bend, the ride out still had some good photo ops.



The downhill was quick and cold in the early morning air.



But we still loved it. Here's Brian blowing kisses to the hills.




Riding down to the entrance of the park.



Before the café, I saw this old GMC sitting on the side of the road. You don't see many of these in the north.



I was fairly sick after visiting the all you can eat buffet. A lot of pictures were not taken as a result. During the 10 miles that passed after we ate, I was 90% sure that I would be hitchhiking to Alpine.



Luckily at some point I decided to just punish my body until it cooperated which seemed to work fairly well, though getting to the point at which it started working was one of the most awful cycling experiences I've ever had. I though I was going to faint.



Feeling a little better after telling my body to stop being a sissy with some serious physical abuse, Brian and I got silly.



And then we took off our shirts. Watch out world!



The last 10 miles saved my life. My body had nothing left in it. I was sick and exhausted. I had pulled every bit of strength out of my body top make that last 95 miles. This extended descent was truly a gift.



We decided to put our shirts back on before getting into town.



We stopped for some ice cream when we got into town. While trying to figure out if we could simply take a shower at a hotel without paying for a room, a nice lady came up to us and offered us a camp spot outside of her pet grooming business. She said there was a bathroom with an unlocked door that we could use and that there was a shower in there too. Regina, you saved us.

After getting cleaned up, we took to the town and stopped in a local restaurant for a cup of soup.



Not feeling quite full enough, we went back for more ice cream at an undisclosed location.

I got plenty of medicine and rinsed my sinuses before bed, which made me feel a lot better.


Total mileage: 108

No comments:

Post a Comment