Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 60 - Austin, TX

I woke up in the morning to this guy, Leo, staring at me. It was apparent right away that I should not have mixed wine and beer. Enter headaches. 


Brian and I were ready to take Austin by storm, but first we had to get his bike from the UPS store. We pumped up the tires on a child size tandem bicycle that was given to Chris and Alicia and set off down the street on a frightful bike ride. Riding a tandem is fun. Riding a tandem that is too small is scary - but still fun as long as there are two people on it. I learned the latter as I raced back to the house on the tandem alone while Brian cruised along on his new bicycle built for one.

After Brian and I got our bikes outfitted (mine, de-outfitted) for an excursion to the city, we set off through some perilous highways and side roads that we were sure would be the end of us. We finally dound a pedestrian bridge leading us downtown and enjoyed the view of some art along the Tecas Colorado River.



Oh yeah, this is Brian.



It was really nice to see such an active population in Austin.



The river looked perfect for a paddling trip. Too bad the canoe was too big to carry.



We road along a walking/cycling trail for a while getting a fill of all the natural scenery that Austin had to offer us.



This is the other side of the bridge I was standing on when I took the picture above.



We found ourselves at the first ever Whole Foods. We unfortunately didn't make it in today, but we were determined to stop in before we left Austin. Instead, we rode down the street to REI to pick up a few "necessities."



On our way back to the house, we ran into the place. Fruit Poop: All fruit and veggies, nothing else. We were on a time crunch so we couldn't stay but we promised the owner that we'd be back.



Chris and Alicia decided to take us out to dinner tonight. We went to Salt Lick BBQ. Seriously, if you're ever in Austin, you need to go here.



The food was absolutely amazing. Brian and I got "The Rancher," which was a heart helping of every meat they had and the most outstanding potato salad.



After gorging myself, we got in the car and said goodbye to this phenomenal establishment. I nearly shed a tear as we left the parking lot. Thinking about the food now is making my mouth water so I'm going to end the post with that and try to find some BBQ sauce to suck on.


Total mileage: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment