Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 78 - Fort Davis, TX to Van Horn, TX
















In the morning, my eye was mostly healed. I slapped on my glasses and we hit the road. The strong coffee that John made had my engine revving and I was excited for the new day. Actually, I was mostly excited for all the downhills that we were about to traverse.
 
We caught a glimpse of autumn on our way out the door in the morning.
 

 
It was a beautiful day for a 90 mile ride into town.
 


We were flying down a hill and Brian's bananas flew from his trailer and exploded all over the road right in front of me. It was like Mario Cart. He stopped and went back to salvage/eat hat he could.

I continued straight and found Thanksgiving dinner!



The rolling hills during the first 30 miles definitely were not my favorite part of the ride. I would have much preferred some flat road today.



Sawtooth Mountain:



It amazes me how this beautiful pile of rocks is just laying around on the side of the road in the Davis Mountains.



This pile was especially amazing.



YES! Downhills upon downhills, upon downhills. I was sure happy to see this.



We jumped off 118 and onto 166 at some point. Then from 166, we hopped onto 505. I think this might be that point. That road was very flat and straight.



We soon jumped off that road and onto 505  and onto 90 which took us through Valentine - a practically ghost town. Not a lot of business here.



Though there were some cool finds.



Brian and I stopped and had some messy lunch at a picnic table on the side of the road. Once we got back in the saddle, it wasn't long before we found the art that I've been hearing about for a while now - the Prada Store:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa

It was exactly as I expected it to be.



90 was straight and had a gradual descent the entire way. Brian was happy. So was I.



While cruising down the highway, we stumbled upon this large grove of trees that we came to understand were pecan trees. Thank goodness, we were running out of pecans!



There were so many of them. This tree farm went on for miles and miles.



We made it into Van Horn at a pretty decent hour.



After stopping at the Dollar General for Reese's Puffs and milk, we found ourselves at the Van Horn Community Church. The pastor there was exceptionally nice. He allowed Brian and I to set up our tent behind the church and even gave us soda and candy. He held a brief prayer with us and offered to bring us some of his wife's chili. He drove off and returned 30 minutes later with chili, bread, banana pudding and apples. We were so fortunate to have met such a nice person. He is definitely getting a post card from us once we get to Oregon.

Total mileage: 93

No comments:

Post a Comment