Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day 70 - Seminole Canyon State Park to Sanderson, TX

We woke in the morning to this beautiful sunrise.
 

 
We had incredible winds the night before. Today, the sun was concealed by a thick blanket of clouds. A few miles out from the park, we found this old gas station. It looks like the Texas wind did a number on it at some point during its lifespan.
 


The ride to Sanderson was not too bad. We were both feeling pretty exhausted, unfortunately.



Our tired bodies couldn't take the excitement away when we found ourselves looking across the Rio.



It was truly a marvelous sight.



Fortunately, the traffic was fairly light today even though we were on a main road.



Bikes!



The Rio Grande.



The hills were doing a number on both of us.



Somewhere around here, we found a small café where we slurped down some coffee and had some cake. The café was the only stop during the entire ride. There were no other services until Sanderson.



I was on a sup sugar high. I was pedaling hard and having a great time. The hills were o match for my newly refreshed legs.



Unfortunately, that high didn't last very long and I crashed really hard.



We even stopped for lunch and I almost fell asleep while sitting down.



Brian seemed rejuvenated, however.



But I think the coffee went right through him.



This guy isn't going to be very happy when he gets back to his car.



Thank goodness for hills, because I was crashing really hard. I was feeling faint and exhausted.



Much of the last 10 miles into Sanderson were downhill, but I was struggling to stay on the bike. I was not feeling good at all.



This blurriness is representative of how I felt at this point. I'm not sure how I made it into Sanderson. I can't even recall the last 15 miles of the ride.



All I can say is that I was ecstatic when we finally rolled into town. The manager at a local motel told Brian that we could camp outside of the hotel for free, an offer we gladly accepted. After setting up camp, we strolled through town looking for food. We found enough calories at the local gas station to hold us over for the night. 2 for $2 frosted honeybuns? Yes please.


Total mileage: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment