Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 55 - Washington, TX to Carmine, TX

I left Debbie's at around 10. I was only going ~40 miles today so I was in no hurry. On the way out, I passed by a nude RV park. Texas, you are so interesting.


It was a beautiful day for some bicycling. The road I took was an alternate to what the maps had me on because I was told that the recent flooding had washed away a 7 mile stretch of pavement.



Burton was where I got off the main road and started on the windy side roads. Towns here in Texas can be very small. Check out this Town Hall.



As I have mentioned before, the thing I love the most about hills is the view from the top. Luckily, I was in "Hill Country," Texas.



There was no shortage of hills...



...or views.



Texas longhorns are also abundant in this area.



The last mile or so of my journey for the day was down an unpaved road. I was heading to a farm, and was going to be sleeping on top of a farmhouse. I was trekking into the country!



When I arrived, Carol, the owner of the farm, greeted me with a root beer and directed me up to the bunk above the barn. There, I took a shower while sitting in a bathtub because the ceiling was too low and I passed out on the bed for a good 1.5 hours. When I finally awoke and made my way down to the house to chat with Carol, I found that she too had decided on taking a nap. I was able to help her with some chores before dinner. For dinner, I ate more fried catfish than you've probably ever seen. I had hushpuppies and sweet potato fries. I was in heaven. I really should stop eating so much - I think I'm gaining weight.

After dinner, she fed me some ice cream too. While munching away on dessert, Carol's friend Ann Marie showed up. She was an antique dealer from Colorado who had driven down for the huge antique fair that was going on in the town over. She was very interested in my journey and all too willing to re-route my trip for me to hit the places that she deemed the most beautiful. At around 9:30, we all called it a night. It was so much fun conversing with the two ladies - it had worn me out.

Total mileage: 40

No comments:

Post a Comment