Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 61 - Austin, TX

The first thing we did this morning was go to a bike shop to have my bar tape replaced. As you can see, the tape had seen better days. The owner of the shop was very nice and clearly enjoyed chatting about our upcoming adventure with us. 


We then stopped at the Hill Country Running Company where I got a new pair of sneakers. I had left my running shoes in Baton Rouge and was yearning for a nice run. They too loved to hear about our journey. The owner was very generous and gave me a discount on my sneakers, along with providing Brian and I with free shirts as long as we send him an awesome picture of us wearing them at some point during the trip (notice free shirt on Brian). His is way better than mine because I'm not fat enough to fit in the only other shirt they had of that color.



The destination for the day was Barton Springs - a natural hot spring on the eastern side of the city. When we got there, we read a sign that told us the spring was closed on Thursdays for cleaning. Goody. I guess that won't be happening.



We did contemplate jumping the fence and taking a quick tip.



But that would be illegal.



Instead we went to Chuy's where I had a stuffed avocado. Sounds funny, right? Yes, but it was absolutely amazing! Brian had an enchilada - cool, I guess.



We hit the trail again after lunch to do more exploring. We were practically off-roading on our touring bikes at certain points.



We finally made it to Whole Foods (the 1st one) and were able to experience the grocery store in all its glory. Pretty women, great food, free samples, $3 wine and a free music festival/live concert. This band behind Brian was called Cute Enough. They were great. So great, that we decided to sit down and listen to the entire set list while splitting the bottle of wine.



We trekked over to Lady Bird Lake and thought about jumping in until I read a news report about some guy who jumped in and impaled his leg on some sunken storm debris. We definitely were not going to be able to go swimming today.



We got back to the house earlier than the night before and decided to go out for a nice run with Chris. The new shoes were great! I was so slow though. Biking a lot does not make you a good runner. When we got back, we took off in the car to Torchy's Tacos for some dinner. I can eat a lot. I really can. I just want to eat all the food here in Austin. It's all so good!

Total mileage: 35

Don't forget about Brian's blog: openmiles.blogspot.com

Also, don't forget it Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment